Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kobe fined $100,000 for gay slur

Kobe Bryant of the L.A. Lakers was fined $100,000 today for a homophobic slur that he made during Tuesday nights game against the San Antonio Spurs. It appeared that Kobe made the gesture when he made it to the bench after he didn’t like a questionable call that was made by the referee. You could tell Kobe was upset as he punched his chair and threw his towel, it was then he made the gay slur. After Kobe was suspended by the commissioner David Stern, he made an apologetic statement say that “What I said last night should not be taken literally"...My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period. The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone"
I believe that Kobe is telling the truth. I know what it is like to be upset sometimes it is hard to hold in your actions and thoughts. Even though I know where he is coming from, I do agree with the fine that was offered because it sets and example to other players that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, Kobe should have been fined for what he said about an official. He is such a global icon and many young kids look up to him and he should've watched what he said because it isn't right to say that to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he should have been fined, but I don't know about $100,000. I agree with you about believing him, because things do tend to get heated when you are out there playing and you do end up saying some stuff you shouldn't; so thats why I think the fine should have been a little less harsh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think $100,000 is a little to steep for a slur. Everyone once in awhile makes a slip and that is quite a fine for a first time offense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With as much trash talk that goes on and other questionable things being said in all sports, I do not think Kobe should have been fined at all especially since Garnett was not fined for his "cancer patient" remark.

    ReplyDelete